The concept of a game of skill is a game where the result is determined generally by mental and/or physical skill, as opposed to pure chance or luck. The appeal of those games lies in the fact that not only do players revel in the challenge and the wide selection of game choices/types, but the mention of checkers, dominoes, hangman and jigsaw puzzles brings on fond childhood memories. The majority of us then graduated to rummy, backgammon, scrabble as well as the ultimate challenge-chess.
While skill games will never replace casino gambling online or off in popularity, this is a universal internet topic with a variety of sites offering free or tournament play. I classify 7 skill game types the following: Card, Board, Dice, Tile, Word, Puzzle and Sports Games. As skill games is really an extensive topic and could not covered in a single article, I am going to present examples for each game type and present a quick description and/or history for every.
1) Card Games: use a deck of cards his or her central tool. Examples are Rummy, Bridge and Canasta. Rummy has numerous ‘cousins’ or versions. To mention a few, you have the world famous, Gin Rummy in addition to Oklahoma Gin, Knock Rummy, Continental, 500 Rum or Pinochle, Kalookie and Pan or Panguingue.
2) Board Games: maintain turn-based play in this one player’s move/technique is followed by their opponents’ move/strategy. Players can only move at their turn. Examples are chess, checkers and backgammon.
The origins of such board games go back centuries. Chess became very popular that other games took second place throughout the middle ages. It’s not certain if chess was invented by a number of people, but warfare was actually a likely basis for its development.
Checkers is known to get originated within the desert country of Egypt where it had been called Alquerque around 650 BC, though there are caves from 1400 BC that depict Alquerque like images.
This game was played by philosophers and thinkers such as Plato and Homer since it provided a tremendous mental challenge.
3) Dice Games: use a number of dice his or her central tool. Board games often use dice to figure out a player’s standing within the game; however, dice alone generally don’t determine the outcome from the game in terms of other characteristics like strategy or skill. Examples are Sic Bo, Yahtzee and Poker Dice.
Poker Dice is probably the most famous dice games, especially online. The dice display representations of playing cards instead of numbers. Each one of the six sides represent Ace, King, Queen, Jack, Ten and Nine that are utilized to form a Poker hand. The object from the game is always to make the best poker hand.
4) Domino/Tile Games: employ a central tool of the set of tiles called dominoes which have two ends, each having a given number of dots or pips. Therefore, each combination has 2 possible values and every domino is unique within the set. Most domino/tile games are ‘card games minus the cards’. Examples are Dominoes, Pai Gow and Mahjong.
Who created this game of Mahjong? In all probability, this video game was created by Confucious, who traveled in The far east in that period. He was keen on birds – perhaps that is why the game was christened as Mahjong, which denotes a sparrow. Some professionals say that the three cardinal virtues professed by Confucious were symbolized via three dragon floor tiles – red-colored, eco-friendly, and white.
5) Term Video games: numerous term video games, so bit of time. A brief list of good examples is Scrabble, Hangman, Cryptograms, Jotto, Jumble, Acrophobia and Tire of Lot of money.
6) Challenge Games: puzzle me these examples-Sudoku, Crosswords, the oh yeah, so annoying–Rubik’s Cube plus a number of way cool on the internet puzzles–Bejeweled, Deal or No Offer, Chuggles and Jungle Bubble.
7) Sports activities Games: blend mental and physical abilities. Examples pbpuug Billiards and Darts.
Sports activities Games of football, rugby, baseball and football require ‘big time’ physical and mental skills. Throughout this short trip down recollection lane, I am certain that you too have discovered the attraction of ability video games. Now, how about a game of rummy?